Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 91 and 92: I took an old dress that I had stopped wearing and re-created it into something fun.  I enjoy redesigning clothes because I hold onto clothes sometimes thinking that I will wear them again, but there are certain items that I never do.  Then there comes a point when I finally decide that I either have to give it away or transform it.  Either one feels great, because who really needs neglected clothes lurking in their closet?  This project has inspired me to finish going through my clothes that I never wear with the intention of either transforming them or giving them away.  Wouldn't it be nice only to have clothes that you actually wear?


Day 93: I decorated a laundry soap box.  I always buy unscented Arm and Hammer, which I'm sure benefits a project like this because then there is no strong scent left in the box.  I used pictures of Wonder Woman from a magazine article that was written about both the history of the comic and the stereotype it reinforces and creates.  Then I added pictures of women reading.  I'll let you make your own interpretation, but I like the contrast between the images of Wonder Woman and "women who wonder."




Day 94: I did a collage in my "dream book," which is also becoming a place where I put poems, images that inspire me, and things that I think about.  I saved the cover of a Bitch magazine that I loved (by the way, the reason it's called "Bitch" is because it is a statement against times when women get called "bitch" just for speaking their truth, it has nothing really to do with being a mean, hateful woman).  I kept the name of the magazine in the collage because it is a reflection of myself and my opinion on how women are sometimes treated in this crazy world of ours.  I absolutely loved the recycled magazine paper dress on the cover. Trash fashion is very fascinating to me, because fashion itself is such a fleeting, changing ideal that women chase after, and I like that the trash really emphasizes the temporary state of it, and also the impracticality of it.  On the note of fashion, I added a woman wearing a bird and a little girl being wild in her "little lady" attire.
Day 95: I decorated the cover of my Dream Book.  This recycled art was done by a couple of guys from Haiti.  Their names are Cubreus Lherisson and David Boyer, they do art together under the name of Kongo Laroze studio.  I love all the buttons, the forks for the hands and computer parts in the tail fins.  The cover did wrinkle as I glued in on, but I like it anyway.  I tend to see just as much or sometimes more beauty in things that have some imperfection, cause perfectionism can drive a person nuts (believe me, I know), and letting go of perfectionism can feel really sweet.
 

5 comments:

  1. LOVE your creativity on the recycling projects! Think you've inspired me to get my '365' book OFF the bookshelf. I've got a large supply of various bottle caps, just waiting for the clever brainstorm. Keep up the great work, Wonder Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your ideas, Recycle Girl! Just read your feature on Noah Scalin's 365 site. Keep up the good work. I'm a recycle-crazy person, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for your interest and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the dress! Did you just make it up as you went along? Or use a tutorial of some sort? I'm always looking for ways to upcycle and mod my old clothes. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did just make it up as it went along. I kept the same structure of the dress and just added embellishments. It's funny though, I ended up not wearing it very much, and gave it to my 11 year old daughter, who loves it!

    ReplyDelete